Learning object summary
This is an exercise that asks students to take the steps outlined in the OSSArcFlow Guide to Documenting Born-Digital Archival Workflows, a guide intended to assist collecting institutions to begin documenting their born-digital workflows, and map them to functional entities in the OAIS Reference Model. This lesson uses and adapts deliverables from the OSSArcFlow project (IMLS, 2017-2020).
- OSSArcFlow Guide to OAIS mapping exercise (HTML)
- OSSArcFlow Guide to Documenting Born-Digital Archival Workflows (PDF)
- Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS) (PDF)
Learning object type
This learning object might be used in a lesson to satisfy the following learning objectives:
- Design a born-digital archiving workflow.
Prerequisite knowledge required: Some knowledge of digital preservation concepts (including OAIS) is helpful
- Virtual, synchronous
- Virtual, asynchronous
Estimated set-up time: N/A
Hardware requirements: N/A
Software installations: N/A
Sample data: N/A
System settings: N/A
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
OSSArcFlow Guide to OAIS mapping exercise
- Read p. 10-29 in the OSSArcFlow Guide to Documenting Born-Digital Archival Workflows
- Using the Detailed Description of Functional Entities in the OAIS Reference Model (section 4.1.1), map each of the steps in the OSSArcFlow Guide to the OAIS functional entities.
- Which parts of the OAIS Reference Model are represented in the OSSArcFlow Guide? Which parts are not represented?
- Were there any steps in the OSSArcFlow Guide that could not be mapped to OAIS functional entities?
- Who is the audience for the OAIS Reference Model? Who is the audience for the OSSArcFlow Guide?